Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Carving

My Grandfather carved this piece for Bill and I and gave it to us on our wedding day. 
~
So the story goes, my Grandfather has always enjoyed carving. As a boy, he'd take his knife and a piece of wood to Sunday school and whittle away. His teacher was always scared that he'd cut himself, but he never did. Over the years, he has carved hundreds of pieces from Pinocchio to a manger scene. Every one a beautiful piece of art. My Grandmother even bought a beautiful, glass cabinet to display many of his creations. From what I've heard, he rarely gives his carvings away, so this gift on our wedding day was and still is quite a treasure. (Unfortunately I still struggle with letting the Lord lead me so maybe that's why he gave it to me -- a gentle and beautiful reminder.)

No comments:

Post a Comment